7 augusti 2008

The wealthy Louise - and her poor sister



Det finns två exemplar av buskrosen Louise Odier i vår trädgård. Jag köpte dom som ett barrotat två-pack för 3 år sedan. En är rik - den andra är fattig.

There are two shrubs of Louise Odier in our garden. I bought them bare rooted tree years ago, as a two-pack. One is wealthy - the other one is poor.

Den rika - och friska - har blommat överdådigt i juni och juli. Hon är 1,6 meter bred och lika hög. Den fattiga har varit sjuk ända från början. Rost och svartfläckssjuka, och jag vet inte allt. Jag flyttade den stackaren till en skuggigare plats i hopp om att hon skulle tillfriskna. Men se det gjorde hon inte. Hon är lika hög som sin syster men hon har bara en stjälk...

The wealthy - and healthy - one has bloomed profusely during June and July. She is 1,6 metres wide and just as tall. The poor one has been sick right from the start. Rust, blackspot - you name it. I moved the poor one to a shadier position, hoping she would recover. But no, she didn't. She's as tall as her sister, with only one stem...

Hur kan två systrar vara så olika? Jag undrar om dom kan ha olika ympunderlag? Finns det något hopp för den fattiga och sjukliga Louise?

How can two sisters be so different? Are they different grafts, I wonder? Is there any hope for poor Louise?

The wealthy one...

...and her poor sister


/Katarina

7 kommentarer :

Anonym sa...

Du får det verkligen låta mycket dramatiskt Katarina!
Vet naturligtvis inte varför den "fattiga" krånglar....;)!
Måste bara nämna att jag har också två systrar som heter 'Pascali'. den ena tog genast för sig och blev stor och stark, medan den andra har kämpat om tillvaron och nätt och jämt överlevt. Men si! I år har den sjukliga systern repat sig totalt och är precis lika välmående som den andra. Jag menar att det finns hopp!

mvh, Anja

Linda Lunda sa...

Hmm skumt... fast å andra sidan.. om du nu mot all förmodan bestämmer dig för att ta bort den fattiga.. SÅ får du ju plats med en ny sort!
Linda

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens sa...

I have seen this odd behaviour with other plants. Last year I planted two Lavenders. Both were the same size. One took off like mad grew and flowered was healthy. The other one just moped around didn'd grow well made lots of dried up branchlets a very unhappy plant. I still have both, one is starting to flower from all ends the other sits there and is still not much bigger than when I brought them home.

Hannele på Hisingen sa...

hihi, liten skillnad..

Ewa sa...

Dear Katarina,
I was just about to ask you about Louise, because I saw the other day that you grow them.
I have one. Since 4 years and it is constantly sick. Today it is maybe 70 cm tall with rare blooms :)
I think there is no hope for her.
Yes. I decided now, while writing, to go her and make my last statement. If this will not help, I will book her flight to roses heaven...
Your example make me believe, that there is something wrong with the plant.
Greetings,

kompoStella sa...

well, Katarina, if Poor Louise will make it and become rich and healthy, i bet you she will be stronger, richer and live longer than her for-the-time-being Wealthy Louise... i will watch out for the next chapter ;-)

Niels Plougmann sa...

Some roseplants are just better than others! One rose on one side of the arbor never grew as well for me as the other rose of the same variety on the other side. I never put up with a poor plant but replaces it - if your LO looks poor then you should see one I have that after 3 years still only have one little cane - it´s gotta go and I will plant something else! I am going to write about LO one of these weeks since it is my favorite bourbon rose.